Amputee Therapy & Prosthetic Training
Listening to the patients that we have already helped, we are sympathetic to the fact that the loss of a limb is a complex physical and emotional experience. Strive’s Amputee program ensures that we are meeting every aspect of our patient’s care. Our physical therapy clinics are conveniently located throughout New Jersey. We utilize a multi-step approach that includes preparation for using a prosthesis, physical training with the prosthesis, and access to lifetime follow-up.
Strive employs clinical staff highly trained in pre and post-operative amputee rehabilitation.Strive Physical Therapists are here to helpwith the physical, neurological, and emotional effects of amputation.
We provide a comprehensive amputee evaluation and treatment program, designed to progress patients through the stages of preand post-amputation recovery and into a state of functional independence.
Our Physical Therapists work closely with our surgical and prosthetic partners to ensure continuous communication for the most successful care and functional outcomes. Our goal is to ensure that every patient has a clear understanding of what to expect throughout their course of care.
PHASES OF RECOVERY INCLUDE
FOCUS: Ensuring the Body is Prepared for Upcoming Surgical Intervention
- Strengthening of the upper extremities, core muscles and proximal lower extremity joints
- Cardiovascular strength
- Range of motion of involved joints to reduce potential for post-operative contractures
FOCUS: Initial Post-Operative Recovery
- Techniques to help alleviate pain associated with limb and phantom pain
- Skin/ wound inspection
- Shaping of the residual limb
- Management of swelling/ edema
- Strengthening of the involved extremity
- Range of motion of the involved extremity to prevent contractures
- Core Strength
- Introduction to gait training with assistive device and prosthesis
- Transfer training
FOCUS: Learning to Use Your Prosthesis
- Independent management of the prosthesis and associated garments
- Balance and mobility training
- Prosthetic ambulation
- Maximizing strength and range of motion of the lower extremity
- Cardiovascular training to maintain full daily activity
- Training for home and community activities
FOCUS: Advanced Home Training/ Work Simulation
- Advanced Physical Therapy training to return the patient to highest level of previous function.
- Returning patients to work, climbing stairs & inclines
- Ambulating on uneven outdoor terrain, running
- Participating in recreational sporting activities
Strive is committed to providing support for our patients throughout their rehab and long after their discharge and return to full activity. We maintain a personal connection to every patient to ensure that any future prosthetic-related or un-related physical condition is addressed.
Ready To Schedule Your Appointment?
Our scheduling concierge will help you find the perfect day, time and office location! We'll even help explain your insurance benefits.